[olug] programmatically getting a phone number for a business?

DYNATRON tech dynatron at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 18:16:07 UTC 2011

most websites with cgi can be easily scraped for data using a common
scripting language. curl (and libcurl) can both insert a mozilla user agent
so you dont look like a bot.

do your first search manually. pay attention to the form source and output
source and you can figure it out. some sites are easier than others. find a
website with simple html forms.
On Apr 7, 2011 7:52 AM, "Dave Weis" <djweis at internetsolver.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure what the quantity of addresses or how quick you need to look
them up but I've used info usa for things like that in the past. We had a
list of addresses that that were in range for internet service so we sent
that entire list to them and got it back with telephone number among other
things. There are also ways to get a copy of the contents of the business
and residential sections of the telephone book as a directory publisher but
it's relatively expensive.

Adam Haeder