[olug] Limiting connections to Apache server based on IP address?

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Fri Sep 24 21:58:46 UTC 2010

I'm looking for a way to limit the number of active users/connections
connecting into an Apache server.

>From Googling, I see that there are some Apache modules that limit based on
the directory on the Apache server, but I'd like to limit it based on IP
address/subnet.  The mod_limitipconn just limits all IP ranges to the same
pool so the admin team may be DOS'd by heavy general-user traffic.

Any suggestions?  (Aside from "buy a bigger/faster server" -- already went
that route and we were shot down.)

Thanks!

Dan

--