[olug] low power linux device for light server

Steven Susbauer steven at too1337.com
Sun Sep 5 19:23:22 UTC 2010

On 9/5/2010 10:30 AM, Eric P wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone on the list has any good experiences with some
> of the low power linux devices on the market?
>
> I'm looking for something I can leave up 24/7 that doesn't drain much
> power. I'll probably run a subversion server, FTP server and possibly a
> web server (all w/very light access).
>
> Here are a couple contenders I've found so far:
> Norhtec's MicroClient JrMX
> http://www.norhtec.com/products/mcjrmx/index.html
>
> GuruPlug Server - PLUS
> http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-32-guruplug-server-plus.aspx
>
> Something with Wifi would probably be nice as all my ports are plugged
> on my router at the moment, but that's not a hard requirement as my
> router is due for a replacement soon (getting flaky).
>
> Thanks for any ideas,
> Eric P.

The GuruPlug Server has some issues with overheating, look around and
you'll find forum posts about it. I am actually waiting on a Sheevaplug
that's stuck with FexEx until Tuesday, but I'll try to remember to make
a comment once it comes. They have no eSATA, but you can use a powered
USB hub to provide multiple ports, and USB wifi dongles work.

The SheevaPlug uses very little power, enough that this person is able
to run their entire server setup off of solar energy:
http://www.earth.org.uk/note-on-SheevaPlug-setup.html

Also, if you can hold off for a bit, the Plug Computer 3.0 is going to
be released in the near future with a 2GHz CPU and built in WiFi,
BlueTooth and HD. You can read a bit at
http://gizmodo.com/5440702/marvell-plug-computer-30-the-tiny-linux-brick