[olug] Web Server, MySQL and security

Jay Hannah jhannah at mutationgrid.com
Wed Sep 1 23:32:25 UTC 2010

On Sep 1, 2010, at 2:11 PM, T. J. Brumfield wrote:
> Specifically for a low-bandwidth site, I'm pretty sure any server I throw at
> it will be overkill from a CPU and RAM perspective. I imagine disk I/O on
> all the SQL calls are going to be my only bottleneck, if I have one.
>
> Could I mount a partition directly into RAM to get fast SQL reads, but then
> replicate that data back to physical disc? Can I do that with the actual web
> site files as well?

I wouldn't worry about it until you've benchmarked it or know you have a bottleneck. Do you have known storage engine requirements? MyISAM is the default, might be fine for you. If not you'll move to InnoDB or others.

But I wouldn't try to optimize your engine until you've got your real application stack under simulated load. Guessing at what *might* be better is often wrong.

I've been doing MySQL DBA part time for the last couple of years, if you need any help.

   http://mutationgrid.com

Also ufw is awfully simple and easy, even if you're already an iptables expert.

Cheers,

Jay Hannah
Software Architect
jhannah at mutationgrid.com