[olug] ATI Linux Good now?

John lzrblade at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 01:16:56 UTC 2010

On 10/23/2010 6:05 PM, Kenny Kant wrote:
> What is the general consensus out there for ATI driver support in
> Linux?  I have avoided ATI for awhile now because this used to be poor
> but now I hear that ATI has a supported driver pack out there?  Is it
> safe for me to grab ATI cards and use them?  Can you please post your
> experiences for me?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kenny

ATI no longer supports my mobility radeon x300.
I would have to run Ubuntu 8.10 in order to use their driver, which
still isn't 100% stable. It seems to be incompatible with Xorg after 8.10.
The legacy driver doesn't work either and I've had zero luck downgrading
Xorg.
Which I shouldn't have to do anyway

I would recommend an nVidia card.
But that's just my opinion which is highly biased by a bad personal
experience. ;)