[olug] Printing Successes with Linux

Thomas D. Williamson twilliam at inebraska.com
Thu Oct 21 02:03:33 UTC 2010

I have been playing with Linux for a while and only have worked on a
few things successfully.  I had an old router/firewall with print
server built in. When I originally used it, the print service was set
up with windows clients, and there was no instructions for Linux. I
had a laser printer I wanted to use and  I hooked it up to a Linux box
with OpenSuSE 11.3 through the USB. It found what was needed to make
it print, but I had trouble getting it to share with another Linux
laptop. CUPS suggested that the firewall was preventing access to the
port needed to enable the print process.

I started scanning for open ports on both machines and thought I was
opening the right ones on them, but no printing happened. When I
scanned the routers and other network attachments, I saw the router
with the print server had port 515 open for access. Both Linux systems
had this port open as a default. I then reassigned the printer to use
the ldp URL for the printer server on the router, and this worked
immediately through the router and the server.

This exercise let me get a bit better idea on what Linux can do and
let anyone who wants to give it a try to get things done. Once I saw
the port connection and what was needed in the printer information, it
all made sense.

Tom Williamson