[olug] myth + COX firewire HD

Kenny Kant kenny.kant at running-config.com
Tue Oct 12 04:18:00 UTC 2010

  Well I can now report back that my Firewire setup seems to work with
my Mythtv system.  I have my Cox digital box here in Omaha hooked
directly to my Mythtv backend server and all seems well.  I am able to
tune in most of the channels from Cox using the firewire connection and
receive the full HD picture even the more "premium" channels such has
HGTVHD, ESPNHD ...etc which is exciting.  I need to go through and
remove some channels that I dont subscribe to like HBO ..etc but I was
expecting to have to do that.  In addition I use a PVR-150 as a second
tuner so I need to do some schedule lineup cleaning but that is more
related to me learning to live with 2 tuners for the first time.

The setup of the firewire was not that bad.  I pulled a lot of
information from:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/FireWire

Mythbackend setup detected my Firewire connection.  I am using the
Motorola DCX-3200M box from Cox with the speed set to 100 megabits and
broadcast mode.  I also had to use the 6200ch external channel changing
program and make sure that Myth used it for that device.  The newest
6200ch code has support for the DCX-3200M box but I did have to get into
the source and manually tell it which "node" my cable box was identified
as on the bus before I compiled.

So anyway all there is HOPE for HD and Mythtv.  I will be testing over
these next couple of weeks and reporting back.

Kenny