[olug] myth + COX firewire HD

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 09:17:43 UTC 2010

> At the end of the day, my end objective is to have myth serving up my High
> definition, recorded content to upnp media clients, ps3 for example as well
> as other myth frontends. Finding torrents for my favorite shows is a real
> pita lately, and I just want to automate my content recording and possibly
> transcode out the commercials! and I'll be damned if I spend any money on a
> news feed just to grab video!

I'm really looking forward to knowing how the firewire works out.  I've been
tempted to take the plunge but can't justify the time sink... glad someone
else local is gonna try it out for me :).  Granted, I've grown very
accustomed to multiple tuners, so... I'll end up paying a fair bit more for
cable setup if firewire does indeed work.  2 Cox Box's rent a month, extra
cost of digital cable, and then the $20 firewire card and a few TB of disk
storage.... and possibly hardware upgrade depending on the load firewire
puts on system.  I'm glad I went with a bigger sized HTPC case rather than a
nifty little book-sized system.

As far as the Hauppauge HDPVR, a coworker got one a few months back and
recorded some PS3 game play to it.  Looked real nice :)

Just for a har har har:

Walmart, Best Buy, Amazon, and eBay have all of the torrents I want burnt to
DVD already.  Really convenient to go and spend just a few min to pick out
what I want and walk out the door with it in an already archived commercial
free high quality format.... or have it waiting on my desk at work....

Granted, there's the pesky chore of having to rip the DVD to store'em on the
HD for ease of playback.... but for me, the time it takes to find what I'm
looking for as well as download and verify and hope it's of good quality...
not to mention possible legal repercussions ... it's just cheaper (in just
pure time spent alone) to amazon/ebay/walmart it.  In the hour or two it
takes to do all of that... your hourly wage surely covers the 'retail'
cost... and I'd rather much do something more constructive / useful with my
time than web crawl / verify :)

Then again, I take the same approach to computers.  If I can spend $X and
not have to fight with it for Y hours.... then... $X is cheaper than trying
to hack it together.

-Will