[olug] Apache MaxClients and monitoring connections.

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Tue Oct 5 21:58:25 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Dan Linder <dan at linder.org> wrote:
> I'm working on sizing an Apache installation using the MaxClients parameter
> to limit connections before it impact other shared services on this system.
>  The Apache system will log when the MaxClients is hit, but I can't
> determine how to get Apache to tell me how many clients it's currently
> running.  (I'm hoping to log these numbers during their work-day and help
> them determine a good size that balances responsiveness with the other tasks
> on the system.)

I would look into something like Munin.  It's a *very* simple system
monitoring app that collects data and presents it as graphs.  They
have plugins for Apache to track accesses, processes, and volume.

Here's an example, linked from the Munin homepage, of a live Munin
install with it's Apache monitoring plugins:
http://munin.ping.uio.no/ping.uio.no/rossum.ping.uio.no.html#Apache

The best thing about Munin is that you get a lot of information for
almost no work.  Installation and setup is a 5 minute job if you do it
manually, and a 30 second job if you are using Debian/Ubuntu.  The
only thing you have to do after dropping it in is add an entry for the
host to the config and make sure the plugins you want are enabled.

--
Christopher