[olug] VMWare Player vs VirtualBox

Dave Rowe dave at roweware.com
Tue Nov 23 17:36:36 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Dan Linder <dan at linder.org> wrote:

<SNIP>

> I know some people just hate the "VMWare corporate image" - if you're one
> of
> them, then VirtualBox is your choice...er, um, wait, VirtualBox is owned by
> Oracle now that they've bought Sun.  That's a "Rock & A Hard Place"
> decision
> for some...
>
> Conclusion?  I'm going to stick with VMWare Player for my personal
> workstation needs.
>
> Just my $0.02 cents.
>
> Dan

I was a long-time VirtualBox user, and recently gave KVM a shot.  I'm not
looking back.  We use a development VM image for work, based on Ubuntu, and
with KVM it's practically instant on.

Plus, using Virtual Machine Manager, the VMs run headless, then, if I need
console access to the VM, I open up the utility, double-click the VM, and I
get a console window.  Runs Vista just fine for when I need to do 'other'
testing.

I'd seriously consider it if you have a recent processor with VT-x enabled.

-Dave