[olug] OT: PSA

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Wed Nov 3 13:28:31 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 14:13, Jeff Hinrichs <jeffh at delasco.com> wrote:

> You can't reform apathy via legislation.

True, but if you can make it feel worthwhile more may show up.  I feel that
a lot of elections aren't voting _FOR_ a person, but rather _AGAINST_
another person.  Why _MUST_ I bless someone with my vote if I don't want
EITHER of them to represent me?

I'd propose making each vote for an office include a "None of the Above"
option.  If NotA "wins" that vote, then all of the people that "lost" are
ejected from this years election cycle for that position and new candidates
are brought in and a new vote for that position is held 60 days later.
 (Maybe end with a cycle where the NotA is NOT an option and the vote
reverts back to a most popular vote...)

I have no idea if there are any theoretical downfalls or caveats to this...

Dan

(The great thing about the Internet is that I'm sure someone will come back
and say "This has already been written up by _________, and here's the link
to the writeup...")

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"