[olug] corrupt master file table (NTFS)

DYNATRON tech dynatron at gmail.com
Fri May 28 23:02:11 UTC 2010

it's an older dell "poweredge" server (P4_HT-2.8Ghz), but the HD's (2x750GB,
2x1.5TB) are all < 2yr old. it's been powered on since it was new in box,
except for maintenance and what happened a few years ago...

it's had been hit by lightning, but has worked fine after replacing
blown-out mobo components with cards. i suppose that leaves the door open
for all kinds of issues, but i needed a smb server, and it hasn't given me
any other issues. just this HD.

i've looked into spinrite, but i'm not a fan of closed software. if i could
look at the source, i'd consider paying $90, but not for something closed. i
might have a different attitude if i really needed the data, but mostly i'm
just down for the adventure of it. thanks for the suggestion.