[olug] corrupt master file table (NTFS)

DYNATRON tech dynatron at gmail.com
Mon May 24 19:49:34 UTC 2010

i have one remaining windows box (the last holdout from my big switch to
linux some years ago), and it's only purpose is for serving files via smb or
that random program that just won't run in wine. when rebooting for
unrelated reasons, it suggested on boot that i let it run chkdsk on a drive
that had no issues (clean shut-down as well). i thought "sure. why not?".
well, i'll tell you why not. here's the terminal (cmd.exe) output of the
result.

*Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
(C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

H:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>t:
The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable.

H:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>chkdsk /f t:
The type of file system is NTFS.
Volume label is TV.
Corrupt master file table. Windows will attempt to recover
master file table from disk.

Windows cannot recover master file table.  CHKDSK aborted.
**
H:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

*when it automatically ran chkdsk at boot, i walked away and came back to a
locked-up login screen. i couldn't even move my mouse. on reboot, i got the
terminal output copied here. every time i reboot, it automatically offers to
run chkdsk on T:.

if i remember correctly, NTFS keeps a backup copy of the MFT on the
disk...maybe i'm wrong...anyhow, i'd like to use a linux tool to recover the
MFT that windows botched. the data isn't "mission-critical", but i've got
600GB of TV shows as well as 100GB+ of backups on this drive, so i'd really
like to keep them if possible.

i was hoping someone out there has had a happy ending to a similar situation
and may be able to point me in the right direction.
linux solutions are preferred, but if i have to use windows to save the
data, i will.

thanks in advance!

no flaming please...i already know i suck.
--
dynatron digital services
box 191 - 68037
dynatron at gmail.com