[olug] The microcosm that says so much

Adam Lassek adam at doubleprime.net
Tue May 11 00:45:24 UTC 2010

Well, I don't agree that the limitations are a bad thing. I'm increasingly
of the opinion, as I study good interfaces and attempt to create my own,
that a truly good UI isn't about what you show but what you don't show.
Super-configurable UIs have an important role to play, but in my experience
are usually used as a crutch to avoid real design. Too much choice leads to
paralysis; anyone intent on creating a user-friendly UI needs to act as a
curator.

Some people are really opinionated about how their UI should work, and to
that end I think the KDE/Gnome duality is all about that difference in
opinion; and that's perfectly healthy. Regardless of how you think desktop
UIs should behave, there's probably somewhere for you to call home.