[olug] The microcosm that says so much

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Mon May 10 20:40:39 UTC 2010

I think the final shipped theme is an improvement. I also think the new
Unity shell looks very sharp. I really like the clear monochromatic systray
icons that both KDE and Gnome have gravitated to (not to mention Windows 7).

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/reviews/2010/05/exclusive-hands-on-with-ubuntus-new-unity-netbook-shell.ars

However, I still think the default widgets and icons are pretty hideous.

http://www.debianadmin.com/ubuntu-10-04-lucid-beta-1-screenshots-gallery.html?pid=303

http://www.debianadmin.com/ubuntu-10-04-lucid-beta-1-screenshots-gallery.html?pid=275

Again, compare those icons to what ships with Mac OS X, Windows 7 and KDE 4.

That being said, my original point in this thread isn't that the button
placement is good or bad, but rather I don't understand why Linux users (who
in all other areas praise choice and freedom) gravitate to a DE whose HIG
going out of their way to limit choice. I know some users never change the
defaults they get, but why would you want software that intentionally limits
you?

As we move forward to Gnome 3 and the new Gnome shell, people will debate
the merits/flaws of the new shell. My point will be whether or not you like
the shell, why should you be forced into conventions you may or may not
like?

The major sticking point of the KDE 4 rewrite was to create tools to make it
easy to customize and design new interfaces. Within seconds I can change
between "activities" which change the entire desktop shell. And part of me
wouldn't be shocked to see someone very quickly whip-up a comparible
activity for KDE that mimics the functionality of the new Gnome shell.

-- T. J. Brumfield