[olug] 2TB Harddrives On Sale

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Sat May 8 20:34:14 UTC 2010

If you are having a problem with a single drive failure killing a RAID
array then you are using the wrong drives.

The only drives you should be using in RAID arrays are enterprise-grade
SATA - Western Digital's RE drives and Seagate Barracuda ES - and SAS
drives. It does not matter if you are talking about a true hardware
RAID, a fakeraid, or an OS-specific software raid.

Consumer drives are cheap but this is a "you get what you pay for"
situation. Even when there is nothing wrong with the drive they have a
bad tendency to simply fall out of the array.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us