[olug] Perl/PHP/SQL/HTML gurus

Mike Hostetler hostetlerm at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 18:32:43 UTC 2010

I've been down the road before of putting a bunch of customizations on
a Open Source CMS (in particular,  PHP-based CMS's) to work the way I
want it to and the road is fraught with peril.  You can make it part
way there, and then you get to a brick wall you didn't expect.  And
then trying to tie different plugins to play well together can also be
a nightmare, also in rather surprising ways.

Drupal is a very nice CMS, but the code base is a bit of a mess (they
said they are fixing it up.) GeekLog (cited later in the thread) does
look rather good.  Someone also forked it recently -- maybe that's a
better way to go: http://www.aptitudecms.org/

If there is a decision to make to roll your own, I'd highly recommend
CakePHP.  It's a very similar framework as Ruby On Rails and Django
but, well, it's PHP which more people know, and it's much easier to
deploy to a production server (no mucking with mod_proxy, lighttpd,
etc.).  I'm writing a web app with CakePHP for a customer and it has
been  able to easily handle everything I could throw against it.

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 11:34 AM, T. J. Brumfield <enderandrew at gmail.com> wrote:
> Slashdot-style threads and moderation is the biggest thing. I did find
> that someone recently started a module to add that functionality, but
> didn't finish it.
>
> Some of the other features I'm not sure if modules exist for. I'm still looking.
>
> For instance, I know Drupal can do categories, but I haven't seen a
> good way to do the categories as subdomains, or allow users to
> customize which ones they see on the front page.
>
> I also want to carry the slashdot-style moderation points to the forum
> portion, and there is no phpbb mod to do anything like that.
>
> The plan is to have a Drupal-powered portal of articles that operates
> a lot like Slashdot, in which only the staff of the site can post
> stories. People can leave comments on stories, but there is also an
> integrated forum where users can create full threads of their own.
>
> -- T. J. Brumfield
>
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Sam Tetherow <tetherow at shwisp.net> wrote:
>> On 3/24/10 9:07 AM, T. J. Brumfield wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm still looking and comparing, but Drupal does appear to be the best
>>> starting point. However, out of the box, it still lacks some major
>>> features that Slashcode would provide. The intent was never to write
>>> something completely from scratch, but rather to integrate some
>>> existing projects and improve them.
>>>
>>> -- T. J.
>>>

>> What functionality in particular can't you find under drupal?  It seems like
>> there is usually a module for anything, the trick is finding it.

Mike Hostetler
http://mike.hostetlerhome.com/