[olug] Cox Business Pricing

Dave Rowe dave at roweware.com
Thu Mar 11 19:37:10 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 1:30 PM, T. J. Brumfield <enderandrew at gmail.com> wrote:
> For "business" pricing with a static ip address, that isn't bad. What
> were the upload speeds?
>
> When you do a bandwidth test with Cox, you usually trigger the
> "PowerBoost" and they temporarily allow up to 20 meg a second, which
> is why your current test scores as so high. I'd have to assume you'd
> get the "PowerBoost" with the business version as well.
>
> As for tech support, my internet was flaky for MONTHS. I kept calling
> Cox to complain. I'd tell the automated system I didn't want to go
> through their automated help, and it would make me walk through a 20
> minute process before allowing me to speak to someone who kept
> insisting that I needed to defrag, and the internet connection
> couldn't possibly be slow. After months of complaining they finally
> agreed to send a tech, who noticed the line going into my house was in
> fact bad.
>
> Support suddenly becomes more important when you need it.
>
> -- T. J.

The upload speeds were 512k and 1m for the packages.  If I was brand
new to Cox, I could see there being a potential support situation like
you've encountered.  But, I've been on the residential service for a
couple years now, and there have been no issues whatsoever.  It'd be
the same line into the house, etc.

Just sucks that there is little to zero competition where I'm at.  I
just looked, and Qwest is not an option, which is annoying.  What is
more annoying is that I'm trying to go through the proper channels
(ie, NOT reverse proxying in from a Linode, etc) - but they can't be
more flexible, and the disparity on pricing with what you actually
need / get, doesn't make sense to me.

-Dave