[olug] Cox Business Pricing

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Thu Mar 11 02:08:20 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 09 March 2010 09:02:26 pm Dave Rowe wrote:
> residential side ($60/month), with the only notable difference being
> having a static IP and the port restrictions removed?  Is there
> something I'm missing?  I thought it would be nice to get that in my
> home office, but certainly cannot stomach that pricing.

If you read their contract, you're not even allowed to run servers other than
webservers...

On Tuesday 09 March 2010 11:35:07 pm Christopher Cashell wrote:
> Linode.com for a Virtual Private Server (VPS), and I migrated
> everything I'd previously been hosting on the home/business cable
> modem to the VPS.  This included E-Mail, DNS, webserver, ftpd, and
> some other miscellaneous stuff, setup with a VPN connection between my
> home systems and the VPS.

I did the same thing. If anyone is interested in VPS, I have a small little
VPS hosting business: http://lightfoot.dashjr.org/?page=vps

On Tuesday 09 March 2010 11:57:53 pm nate wrote:
> If you get a Xen or KVM-based VPS then that means you have full-fledged
> server as far as software is concerned. With container-style VPSes like
> OpenVZ or Vserver you still have a few niggling problems. I ran into
> them while trying to setup BIND and then later on when trying to
> setup a VPN tunnel. Nothing huge, but irritating. But those types of
> container VMs tend to be cheaper.

Xen/KVM emulate hardware to varying degrees, so also have significant overhead
that makes them unsuitable if you want fast response times (latency;
especially important for game servers). OpenVZ, on the other hand, doesn't
have any of this overhead (it doesn't emulate *anything*). I tried a Xen VPS
once, and decided I'm sticking with OpenVZ. :)