[olug] Cox Business Pricing

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Wed Mar 10 05:35:07 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 9:02 PM, Dave Rowe <dave at roweware.com> wrote:
> http://ww2.cox.com/business/omaha/data/pricing.cox it runs $275/month
> for their top tier, which is comparable to the Premier tier on the
> residential side ($60/month), with the only notable difference being
> having a static IP and the port restrictions removed?  Is there
> something I'm missing?  I thought it would be nice to get that in my
> home office, but certainly cannot stomach that pricing.

I used to run with a business account on Qwest's Cable Modem service.
Used it for years, and with no major complaints.  However, about a
year ago I decided to try an experiment.  I setup an account with
Linode.com for a Virtual Private Server (VPS), and I migrated
everything I'd previously been hosting on the home/business cable
modem to the VPS.  This included E-Mail, DNS, webserver, ftpd, and
some other miscellaneous stuff, setup with a VPN connection between my
home systems and the VPS.

After 3 months, I decided the VPS was "good enough", and formalized my
transition plans.  A short time later, I switched my home cable modem
to the non-business account.  That was well over six months ago now,
and I definitely have no intention of changing back.

Just figured I'd throw out an alternate perspective. ;-)

--
Christopher