[olug] good open source web based software for business management (invoices/sales/etc)

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 19:26:11 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 11:10 PM, Adam Haeder <adamh at aiminstitute.org> wrote:
> I've never used this in a "formal" company setting, but I've used it in my minuscule consulting business to keep track of clients and invoicing. Way more power than what I need, but it does help me keep track of who has paid and who hasn't. Open source, php/mysql based. Thought some of you might be interested
>
> http://phpbms.org/
>
> --
> Adam Haeder
> Vice President of Information Technology
> AIM INSTITUTE
> 1905 Harney Street, Suite 700
> Omaha, NE 68102
> 402-345-5025 x115
> adamh at aiminstitute.org
> www.aiminstitute.org

  Once again, there is too much choice in the open source world.

  i came across OpenERP (aka TinyERP) looking for timeclock software
and again when looking for a QuickBooks replacement for many reasons.
QuickBooks scares me.  Requires IE to run at a lower security level.
Uses the IE cache to store advertisements incorporated into the
desktop app.  With the FDIC.gov warnings about browser vulnerabliites
and QuickBook's tightness to the webbrowser,  i would not be surprised
if QB is highly vulnerable.

TinyERP / OpenERP is probably way too big but it is intriguing because
it incorporates time tracking, project management, scheduling,
invoicing, srm, crm.  A simple yum install and it is running in
minutes.

Portals for your suppliers and customers.  (srm / crm).

pyhton xml based with qt, gtk,  web based frontends.  Easy to make or
customize modules.

Crossplatform Win Lin and i would think Mac.

Document management which can be very useful to track what email was
used to make changes in customer requirements.

i really have no idea, but i would not be surprised if freshbooks is a
small subset of tinyerp.
Has anyone tried openerp / tinyerp in a real business setting?
Anyone used it to replace QuickBooks?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenERP

Name       : tinyerp
Arch       : noarch