[olug] SSL for Multiple Apache Named VirtualHosts on a single IP?

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Fri Mar 5 21:46:45 UTC 2010

On 3/4/2010 10:00 PM, Phil Brutsche wrote:
> The *only* way to do what you want with traditional HTTPS is with
> wildcard certificates.

Oh? I love our SSL wildcard cert

http://www.rapidssl.com/ssl-certificate-products/rapidssl/usd/wildcard-ssl-certificate.htm

But the last time I jacked with it (3 years ago?) you still needed an IP
address for each site (for each Apache virtual host), or Apache wouldn't
start.

Which is fine. Linux can have lots of virtual IP addresses all on the
same NIC card, so Apache was happy. Multiple SSL sites, multiple IP
addresses, one cert.

Assuming that part of my memory is still working.

I've got my notes in one of our tickets somewhere if anyone cares.