[olug] Wired connection

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 21:11:58 UTC 2010

i suppose how to enable the wifi buttons was figured out a long time
ago, but if not....

In the Fedora repositories, there is the tpb package.
i would be very surprised if the other major vendors do not carry
something similar  as i have happened across references to ThinkPad
buttons and other TabletPC buttons many times over the years.  Today,
i needed to find the type of RAM in a system so i did "yum search
hardware"   and one of the entries was the following tpb.   If it is a
TabletPC, then there is a physics department website, that has even
better info.

tpb.i586 : ThinkPad button support utility

# yum -C info tpb
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Available Packages
Name       : tpb
Arch       : i586
Version    : 0.6.4
Release    : 11.fc11
Size       : 60 k
Repo       : fedora
Summary    : ThinkPad button support utility
URL        : http://www.nongnu.org/tpb/
License    : GPLv2+
ThinkPad, Mail, Home
           : and Search buttons. TPB can also run a callback program
on each state
           : change with the changed state and the new state as
options.  So it is
           : possible to trigger several actions on different events.  TPB has a
           : on-screen display (OSD) to show volume, mute, brightness and some
           : other information.  Furthermore TPB supports a software
mixer, as the
           : R series ThinkPads have no hardware mixer to change the volume.

If this is already installed but the wireless button is still not
working, the functionality may be commented out in the config file.
List the configuration files for the tpb package:
rpm --query --configfiles tpb

man tpb
Then look at the website mentioned for how to enable it.

rpm --query --configfiles openhpi
/etc/openhpi/openhpi.conf
/etc/openhpi/openhpiclient.conf