[olug] Monitoring/graphing Ethernet port errors.

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Tue Jul 27 02:38:06 UTC 2010

> I'm trying to monitor for port errors on my Cox cable modem -- under load
> I'm getting about 3-5% CRC or Framing errors on in-bound packets (Cox was
> out and said they see some issues with the up-stream signal so they'll be
> out tomorrow too).
>
> I've got a Cisco switch (2900) between the switch and firewall so I can use
> MRTG to graph the bandwidth, but I can't seem to find a good example of
> monitoring errors (ifInError and ifOutError).
>
> Right now I have it setup to pull the ifInError/ifOutError data, but the
> graphing is setup like it's pulling bandwidth so the scales and graphs don't
> really provide a usable chart...
>
> Anyone have a sample bit of mrtg.conf I can use?

# snmpwalk -v 1 -c <pwd> <host> if
IF-MIB::ifDescr.1 = STRING: lo
IF-MIB::ifDescr.2 = STRING: eth2
IF-MIB::ifDescr.3 = STRING: eth3
IF-MIB::ifInOctets.1 = Counter32: 364270852
IF-MIB::ifInOctets.2 = Counter32: 1485416397
IF-MIB::ifInOctets.3 = Counter32: 0
IF-MIB::ifInErrors.1 = Counter32: 0
IF-MIB::ifInErrors.2 = Counter32: 0
IF-MIB::ifInErrors.3 = Counter32: 0

ifInErrors appears to be a Counter32, just like ifInOctets is, so
the graphing should be setup identically.  If it had been an Integer
instead, you would add something like the following to your MRTG paragraph:

Options[switch-errors]: gauge, nopercent, integer, growright

> Or has the world moved on to Cacti, or Cricket, or Zabbix, or...?

Almost.  We're dinosaurs.