[olug] Getting SCHD Card to read in SuSE

Thomas D. Williamson twilliam at inebraska.com
Sun Jul 25 19:19:14 UTC 2010

I have a Compaq laptop with SuSE 11.2 loaded, it works well when
reading USBs, but I wanted to transfer some pictures from a digital
camera and put the SCHD card in the slot. The first time it read the
new storage device and opened up the folders on it. I chose safely
remove drive to take it out and put it back in the camera for other
pictures. When I put the card back in there was no recognition of it
being there or any indication it was accessible. I had the card in
when I shut the system down and restarted it later. On the restart the
card was found and available. I finished what I was doing removed the
card, took some additional pictures and put the card in the laptop
again. It did not recognize the card again, I tired just to log off
and log  back in to see if the card would be found, but it wasn't. So
I restarted the system with the card in the slot and it appeared.

Is there something I can do to get the card recognized without
restarting the system? I was trying to tell it to mount the card, but
since it does not seem to see it, there is nothing to mount.

Thanks,

Tom Williamson