[olug] Ubuntu home to RAID0

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Tue Jul 13 22:54:47 UTC 2010

Running Ubuntu 10.04 32-bit desktop.

OK, I've run out of space on my 1.0TB /home filesystem (separate drive).
I have another 1.5TB drive available, and I want to use 1.0TB of that
along with my old 1.0TB drive to create a striped (RAID0) 2TB partition
as the new /home.  I do NOT want to reinstall anything over my current
root drive.  The data on my old /home filesystem is already backed up
and therefore expendable.  I want the leftover 500GB on the second drive
to be available for some other purpose.

The catch is that I've seen the text-based commands for setting up LVM,
and it's enough to convince me that I *really* want to use a GUI utility
to handle the LVM setup for me.  Can I do that as root while wiping my
/home filesystem?  Can I do it while booted off my main root drive, or
must I boot off a live CD?

I need to do this ASAP.  Any pointers are appreciated.