[olug] Ubuntu 10.4 boot question

Joe Gulizia jrguliz at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 12 10:43:40 UTC 2010

I have an Ubuntu 10.4 live disk.  GRUB is not displaying on my machine, which was set up to dual boot.  I had to re-install Windows because it wasn't getting to a login prompt.
I have one drive that has Windows XP Pro (hda1 if  you will) -- the other drive has the whole Ubuntu 10.4 on it.  I have several partitions set up already.
Can I start and install and replace the / and boot partitions without loosing data OR should I boot into live mode and copy GRUB from the live disk?  If I do the latter, should I be looking in the /etc directory.
I definitely do not want to lose the data (/home) on my current system.
Thanks in advance.Joe
PS  I also have access to a couple versions of knoppix disks.