[olug] nas box

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Tue Jul 6 06:05:52 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 11:47 AM, Obi-Wan <obiwan at jedi.com> wrote:
>> Canned linux solutions, take a look at openfiler or freeNAS.  These have
>> specific hardware requirements.
>
> +1 for Openfiler.

I'd give my vote for OpenFiler, too.  I've used it at two different
jobs, and had great success with it.  Very cool tool.

(As for FreeNAS vs. OpenFiler, when I was researching the two, I came
away with the impression that FreeNAS would run on older/slower
hardware, requiring fewer resources than OpenFiler, while OpenFiler
has more features, and tends to provide better performance (based on
2-3 articles and posts I found from people who tried both).  I decided
to give OpenFiler a shot first, based on that, and was happy enough
with it that I never tried FreeNAS.)

--
Christopher