[olug] DD-WRT Router Suggestions?

Mike Hostetler hostetlerm at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 16:30:22 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 5:51 PM, T. J. Brumfield <enderandrew at gmail.com> wrote:
> I bought a high-end router a year ago, but I'm not 100% happy with it.
> My internet connection is still slow. Cox refuses to talk to me about
> performance since a router is involved, and they won't come out to the
> house to check the signal, even though pages time out all the time.
> They insist I need to defrag my hard drive.

I left Cox a while ago.  I live in the small pocket of Omaha can get
cable and cable modem service through Qwest (tconl.com).  I had Qwest
DSL a long time ago and swore I'll never do that again.   Their cable
modem service is decent -- cheaper than Cox and fast enough for us.
The IP's are on the 10.x.x.x network so there is no connecting to your
home boxes remotely.

[snip]
> I purchased a DIR-655, which got rave reviews, is supposed to have a
> fast processor and do decent QOS, has 4 LAN gigabit ports, and does
> 802.11n wireless.
>
> The question is, can I find an equivalent or better router that
> supports a Linux firmware (like DD-WRT?)
>
> Ideally, I want something with at least 32 megs of RAM for processing,
> and at least 8 megs of RAM for flash storage. The newest releases of
> DD-WRT are getting larger than 4 megs. It would have gigabit ports,
> and 802.11n support.
>
> Does anyone know of such a router?

This does not meet your specs, even the DD-WRT one, but I got one of
these in November and can't recommend it enough:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320025

The range is amazing, and you can use it as a wireless repeater, AP,
or as just a wireless network card on your machine.  The Advanced
Settings have a lot of DD-WRT type options on it, along with the
repeater options, etc.

--
Mike Hostetler
http://mike.hostetlerhome.com/