[olug] How to configure X?

Kevin D. Snodgrass kdsnodgrass at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 3 03:33:59 UTC 2010

OK, finally upgraded to Fedora 12.  It appears this machine has a problem with a DIMM in slot 2.  So I guess I'll run with 1GB only. :-(

My LCD monitor wasn't detected, or maybe the video chip.  Can't really tell.  Where did /etc/X11R6/xorg.conf go?

Fron what I can find out, most everything is "autodetected" now.  Well it doesn't work with a damn.  I have a Viewsonic 19" LCD and an NVidia built-in video card.  lcpci -v output:

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX - nForce GPU] (rev a3) (prog-if 00 [VGA])

Since something isn't auto-detected correctly (progress! </sarcasm>) I get VESA class video, 800x600.

What do I have to do to convince F12/Xorg that I have a 1280x1024 capable setup?

Oh, and running glxgears on FC3 with NVidia blob I get 1500 fps, Fedora 12 with the xorg driver I get 150 fps.  (Yeah!! </sarcasm>)  Something ain't right here...

Kevin D. Snodgrass