[olug] Max range on WAPs

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Fri Feb 26 06:05:27 UTC 2010

<half joking>

trench some single-mode fiber between the houses and put an AP at your
grandma's house.

</half joking>

I doubt a new WAP will help any, you're talking about crossing a 450
foot void using "rubber duckies" with obstacles at both ends. If there
was *literally* nothing but air between the AP and the laptop you might
be able to do it...

If the fiber idea won't fly (c'mon, i *know* you wanna!) I suggest a
second AP with a yagi antenna (or some other directional - like a
biquad) pointed at grandma's:

http://www.l-com.com/familylist.aspx?id=2149

Another idea would be to put in an amplifier:

http://www.l-com.com/productfamily.aspx?id=6376

Being out on a farm I seriously doubt you'll run into regulatory issues
pushing your WLAN signal up to 3 watts (or even higher) - most APs run
at 100 mW or less, so 3 W is a substantial power boost. A 3W amp runs
about $250 :(

The antenna idea is the cheapest and the fiber idea is the most expensive ;)

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us