[olug] hard drive

Eric Lusk wyrmzr72 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 16 19:15:05 UTC 2010

Yes, run the diags on it to see if it's failing in some way (sudden filesystem changes are not a good sign).
If it tests ok, but takes a long time, like 4+ hours, to test, then it's shot.  Even if diags say it's fine, consider it failing.
Testdisk is a good utility to pull data from a drive, or in some cases to "unformat", even on failing drives.  It's available for *nix, Windows, Mac...

 I ran the Harry Potter books through a spell checker; none of those spells should work.