[olug] hard drive

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 19:08:57 UTC 2010

If I recall correctly,

FUSE = Filesystem in user space.

Most modern distros don't use the standard ntfs driver in the kernel,
which by default is read-only. They use ntfs-3g, which is a FUSE
filesystem. The kernel just sees it as a fuseblk, because the kernel
isn't loading the filesystem driver.

It continues to shock me that there isn't a good Linux based
scan/repair tool for NTFS. Everyone I ask about it says you should
just boot to Linux and run chkdsk, but I think this would be a perfect
opportunity to show off the utility of Linux, by being able to boot to
a live CD and repair a NTFS partition.

Ubuntu may be able to see the partition type, but that doesn't mean it
isn't corrupt.

Your best option may be to put the drive in an external bay, boot into
Windows and try a chkdsk. If it won't mount at all, then try a vendor
supplied hard drive repair tool. For instance Western Digital makes
tools to repair Western Digital drives, etc.

If you don't have an external bay, you can try a BartPE Windows disc,
which is basically a limited "Live CD" for Windows.

-- T. J.