[olug] Full Duplex - NIC

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Wed Feb 3 21:08:12 UTC 2010

A few words from someone who has experience with such things:

In order to properly force a particular speed and/or duplex (say,
100-Full) on a particular link, you need to set it on both link partners
- in this case, the the server and the switch it's connected to. If you
set one side but not the other you will cause a duplex mismatch.

To set speed and/or duplex on the switch you need a managed switch. If
you do not have a managed switch do not attempt to manually specify the
speed and/or duplex.

If you know for a fact you have a duplex mismatch with auto negotiation
enabled on both sides of the link, and you do not have a managed switch,
then you have a good case for getting one.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us