[olug] bad SD card

Jordan Fox vmifox at gmail.com
Sat Dec 25 05:15:50 UTC 2010

I'd second trying another reader.  If that doesn't work and the card
is still recognized and readable but isn't formatted, something
probably got messed with the file system.  Test Disk may work to help
you recover files (I've never used it, but have heard great things).
Another program that works well, but you'll need to do some research
to properly use, is scalpel.  First, I'd create an image of the disk
using dd - you'll probably have to use ddrescue instead of dd.
ddrescue was made to work nearly the same as dd, but it tries harder
to properly read data and instead of ending execution when it
encounters a read error, it continues running.

http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
http://www.digitalforensicssolutions.com/Scalpel/

Jordan