[olug] Fwd: [Secure0maha] 2010 - A cyberwar odyssey?

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Tue Dec 14 16:10:16 UTC 2010

On Thursday, December 09, 2010 03:22:46 pm Adam Haeder wrote:
> The whole idea of calling this a "cyber war" is sort of amazing as well,
> but like it or not I think that label is
> stuck on this event, and no amount of raging is going to change that.

No, "cyber war" seems quite accurate to me. For some reason, a botnet seems to
hate my luke.dashjr.org domain, and has been DDoSing it for a couple of days
now. I eventually just had to block all of China's subnets just to keep it
managable-- turns out 95% of my traffic was coming through there. Now I just
keep an eye on it and manually blacklist IPv6 subnets (ipset doesn't support
them yet!), and have a script automatically blacklisting the few non-Chinese
IPv4 that attack. All this just for a personal website (really just a file
store-- I don't maintain index files generally).

> Heck, I have seen wifi routers getting altered to do
> transparent bridging into Tor, this could
> likely have the same thing done to make access easier.

This is a great idea. It seems "best of both worlds"-ish to allow anonymous
Internet access on an open AP, yet send all its traffic through Tor to avoid
any unpleasant consequences such a user might invoke.