[olug] [ot] not sure on the details

Benjamin Watson bwatson1979 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 14:25:32 UTC 2010

I'd be curious to see how far this goes.  Warranties are intended to
protect the consumer against product defects but usually have a
stipulation that the consumer use the device "as designed" or "in
accordance with the user manual"; but usually stated in some cryptic
legal-ese.

By rooting my phone and overclocking, I am now using the device above
and beyond its design and, as a result, can cause hardware damage.  I
can understand why these types of actions void a warranty.  Similarly,
I don't expect a warranty on a new car's drive train to be valid if I
swap the engine out for something with more HP.