[olug] [ot] not sure on the details

Jason N dashrender at cox.net
Thu Dec 2 17:49:58 UTC 2010

I could be wrong here, but I'm thinking they are getting this guy for his part in 'cracking' encryption was has been made illegal.  Personally under the digital millennium copyright act I don't think the companies should legally be allowed to encrypt their data if it prevents me from creating a personal backup copy, which I am legally allowed to do.

If they really want to fix this, they should stop all the sales of DVD/CD/Blu Ray discs with games on them, and instead require they all be downloaded.  Then, perhaps, they could claim you can't make a backup under DMCA.  I say perhaps, because I would personally argue that once I have downloaded it, I should be able to make a backup so I don't have to have an internet connection inorder to recover it in case of a problem.

I do understand the plight of the corporations.  And I do believe in ones right to make money from their own efforts/ideas/etc (i.e. video games), but I also believe our copywrite system has become broken.  The original setup was something like a 20 year limit.  After that all things ended up in the public domain.  This helped spure innovation and pushed people to keep coming up with new things.. now days, people just sit on their arses and collect royalties for life and then some.

---- Jason Zeisler <superztnt at gmail.com> wrote:
I agree. I think if I own it I can do what I want. If they want to maintain
ownership and rent/lease them. Does anyone know what their legal standing is
on this? If I remember right they tried the same thing with the original
Xbox and were going after people putting in mod chips back then too, and
these guys weren't performing a service. They were modding their own
systems.