[olug] Asterisk Support Needed

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Tue Aug 31 23:06:04 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, August 31, 2010 08:41:29 am Jay Woods wrote:
> I have started working with XG Industries on some stuff (which
> hopefully will include an open source cell phone tower). There is an
> article on the open source version which includes Asterisk:
>
> http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/083010-open-source-voip-
> cell-phones-at-burning-man.html?hp
>
> I would like to develop a list of local people that would be interested
> in supporting such a thing. Does this apply to any of you? (The most I
> can do is supply a cheap computer and do configuration support.)

OpenBTS interests me greatly, mainly because AT&T is so expensive (and doesn't
even offer an unlimited data plan) and T-Mobile has basically no coverage in
Omaha... Would be awesome to get a community cellular network running,
especially if I can point the voice service at my own private PBX (as an
extension)... something I'm not aware of *any* cellular providers offering.

The main reason I lost interest is the cost and FCC issue. While technically
speaking, one doesn't need a FCC license for the 900 MHz band, in practice the
limits on xmit power would make coverage terrible without a tower every couple
miles. :(