[olug] Contemplating an iPad.

Kevin sharpestmarble at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 20:25:45 UTC 2010

Part of it's marketing, part of it is attention to what a consumer
subconsciously wants. Having a keyboard is inherently...rough is the
best word I can find. But an on-screen keyboard that slides out when
needed and slips out of the way when not, that's sexy if it works
well. Which the iPad does.

The TouchBook looks attractive, but it's still in a two-piece form
factor. SJ started out with the introduction by distancing it from the
netbook. The iPad is in a one-piece form factor. Pretty much any
laptop is a sit-forward-and-do-stuff experience, while a one-piece
form factor is a lean-back-and-have-fun experience. Netbooks are
similar enough to laptops for the purpose of this example to be lumped
in with them.

Look when the iPad was released. Look at how much marketshare and
mindshare it garnered. Look at when competing similar high-profile
one-piece products were released. That's just enough time for them to
be decided upon, designed, developed, tested, QA'd, and shipped.
Pretty much the definition of "caught with their pants down".