[olug] OT kinda - Virtualization options -- ESXi vs Proxmox

webtrekker at cox.net webtrekker at cox.net
Mon Aug 16 19:54:46 UTC 2010

I need to replace my current OpenSuSE XEN host with something that others can easily learn. I had started building an ESXi 4.1 setup when one of my coworkers suggested Proxmox (http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Main_Page) which is a KVM/OpenVZ virtualization setup.
Does anyone have any experience with Proxmox?  I really like the idea of not needing a Windows box for the ESXi configuration and l would always prefer to use opensource, but I have had zero experience with KVM or OpenVZ.

All of the boxes that will be virtualized are Linux (opensuse and SLES) running DNS, Zimbra, and a couple of Drupal servers.

Patrick