[olug] linux

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 14:30:03 UTC 2010

To clarify, Ubuntu LTS and CentOS allow you to do updates to patches without
doing a major upgrade. If you're using something else like Fedora or
openSUSE, they wil continue to create packages and security updates two
releases behind. For instance, if you install openSUSE 11.3, they will
continue to push updates through the openSUSE 11.4 and 11.5 life-cycle, but
won't during the 11.6 life-cycle.

Each of those release cycles for openSUSE is 8 months. Some people aren't
comfortable doing a major update in 8 months (or 6 months for distros like
Ubuntu and Fedora). So that is where a LTS release comes into play.

However, if you don't do thoes major updates, you may lose a direct upgrade
path and have to wipe the box when you do want to do a major update in the
future.

Would you rather run a LTS for 5years, wipe and then do a fresh install, or
keep a rolling update every 6-8 months?

The advantage of Linux is that you have that choice.

-- T. J.