[olug] [OT] VoIP hardware solution recommendations?

Kenny Kant kenny.kant at running-config.com
Tue Aug 3 00:14:31 UTC 2010

  Dan, If you are looking for a good ATA I would suggest the Sipura (now
Linksys) series ATA devices they are < 100.00 .  Most of the time the
ITSP that you choose will provide you one of these and you are good to
go.  I personally use a Sipura SPA-2000 and a Linksys PAP2 which
basically the same re-branded device.  Each of these come with 2 FXS
ports where you can terminate your regular phones in the house.  Each
can be setup as its own SIP registration.  Some providers like to lock
their ATA's just like a cell (Vonage is a good example)  phone so ask
you provider if they will provide you with an unlocked ATA so you can
change your ITSP at will.

You can also look at some phones which are true VoIP endpoints.  Polycom
and Cisco are great brands.  I would also suggest looking at the
/GIGASET/-A580IP
<http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=gigaset&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=6715026609938340151&ei=AV5XTLSkCpSlngeXkLTXAw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDcQ8wIwAg>
phone.  This device will allow you to register up to 9 ITSP's and also
provides a FXO port to plug into your traditional PSTN service from
Qwest/Cox ..etc  great phone.

As for providers I have used to provider service:

Quantum Voice (currently using) - http://www.quantumvoice.com

AxVoice                                           - http://www.axvoice.com

Teliax                                                 -
http://www.teliax.com

Also I hear that Windstream sells SIP trunking now they purchased
Nuvox.  I contacted them for pricing but have not received any call
back.  Anyone have a contact at Winstream??

Kenny