[olug] Ethernet connection

Jon Larsen relayer at levania.org
Thu Apr 22 13:25:05 UTC 2010

By chance, are you putting your laptop to sleep when you leave work?

If so, trying turning it off at work, then power it on at home and see if
you have the same results with NetworkManager.

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010, T. J. Brumfield wrote:

> Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 10:57:24 -0500
> From: T. J. Brumfield <enderandrew at gmail.com>
> To: "Rob.Townley at gmail.com" <Rob.Townley at gmail.com>,
>     Omaha Linux User Group <olug at olug.org>
> Subject: Re: [olug] Ethernet connection
>
> That is all very good advise except I'll throw in that I think
> openSUSE ships with dhcpcd instead of dhclient. I could be mistaken
> though.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Apr 21, 2010, at 10:45 AM, Rob Townley <rob.townley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 9:16 AM, T. J. Brumfield <enderandrew at gmail.com
> > > wrote:
> >> Welcome to the list!
> >>
> >> What I've seen happen from time to time is that when you take a
> >> computer
> >> from one environment to the next, Networkmanager doesn't always
> >> correctly
> >> set /etc/resolv.conf which has the DNS settings.
> >>
> >> You can open up a console and try ifconfig to see your NIC
> >> settings. You can
> >> then try to ping the ip address of your router/cable modem/whatever
> >> at home.
> >> You can also try pinging a known ip address like 8.8.8.8 (Google's
> >> public
> >> DNS server).
> >>
> >> If you can reach that, your NIC is working, but DNS is not. You may
> >> want to
> >> look at /etc/resolv.conf
> >>
> >> There isn't any reason I can imagine that your NIC driver and such
> >> works in
> >> one environment and not the other.
> >>
> >> -- T. J. Brumfield

> > Worse would be when the dhclient part of NetworkManager misses
> > something else besides DNS such as the default gateway.  Can you ping
> > other hosts on your lan, but not get out of the lan.
> >
> > #cat /etc/resolv.conf
> > #ifconfig -a
> > #ip address
> > #route
> > #ip route show
> >
> > Compare IP subnet and default gateway to a working machine.
> > If it is different, force the dhcp client to renew:
> > #dhclient eth0
> >
> > Stop all networking and restart
> > #/etc/init.d/NetworkManager stop
> > #/etc/init.d/network stop   (i am assuming this is on suse)
> > #/etc/init.d/netplug stop   (you may not have this running which is
> > ok)
> >
> > Change stop to start above.
> >
> > If dhclient / NetworkManager still isn't giving you the right numbers,
> > then it is worth to hunt down any old dhclient related *.lease files
> > on your system.  Especially, if at one time, the dhcp server was set
> > to hand out leases for a very long time.  On a Fedora 11 system, dhcp
> > lease files are stored in /var/lib/dhclient/, so do a #find / -name
> > dhc.  Normally, it does not hurt to erase all these files but you may
> > want to mv them somewhere under /tmp/oldleases/ in case work does
> > something like TLS 802.1x.   You might notice that your home network
> [...]

Jon H. Larsen  - relayer -at- levania -dot- org
Blog - http://levania.org/relayer/
VP of Community Development, Omaha Linux Users Group - http://www.olug.org/
AnimeSunday.org - http://www.animesunday.org/