[olug] Ethernet connection

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 14:16:49 UTC 2010

Welcome to the list!

What I've seen happen from time to time is that when you take a computer
from one environment to the next, Networkmanager doesn't always correctly
set /etc/resolv.conf which has the DNS settings.

You can open up a console and try ifconfig to see your NIC settings. You can
then try to ping the ip address of your router/cable modem/whatever at home.
You can also try pinging a known ip address like 8.8.8.8 (Google's public
DNS server).

If you can reach that, your NIC is working, but DNS is not. You may want to
look at /etc/resolv.conf

There isn't any reason I can imagine that your NIC driver and such works in
one environment and not the other.

-- T. J. Brumfield