[olug] Tiny computers

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 18:40:58 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 4:16 PM, Rob Townley <rob.townley at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 4:03 PM, Rob Townley <rob.townley at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Kevin D. Snodgrass
>> <kdsnodgrass at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> I remember some time ago talk about little computers like the Marvell Sheeva Plug.  I also found the fit-PC.
>>> http://www.legitreviews.com/article/976/1/
>>> http://www.amazon.com/fit-PC-Slim-Linux/dp/tech-data/B001L18ED2/ref=de_a_smtd?ie=UTF8&m=A3J2VUK9571N8X
>>>
>>> Anybody get one?  Or something like these?
>>>
>>> My neighbor asked me about setting something up so he could watch youtube on his 50" plasma.  He has an 8 year old PC at the other end of the house, and wifi setup.  (Not sure why the wifi with only one computer...)  Simple is better, and something like a Sheeva Plug sounds like it would work.  Any other ideas?
>>>
>>> Kevin D. Snodgrass

>> You may want to look at previous posts on HDMI vs DisplayPort machines.
>>
>> At BestBuy in the _computer_ section, there were 1 or 2 devices for
>> this purpose (i believe).  One was made by NetGear for about $99.00.
>> NetGear supported and purchased ReadyNAS, so opensource friendly.
>> BuffaloTechnology uses Linux and _may_ have been the other brand.
>>
>> At BestBuy in the _TV_ section, some of the BluRay players were
>> networkable but artificially limited in the sites one can visit if
>> they had a webbrowser at all.
>>
>> The HDHomeRun doesn't quite do what you want directly.  It hooks up to
>> your cable box and multicasts over your LAN.  Another PC (used
>> batteryless, harddriveless, crying for a USB stick / SD memory card
>> harddrive guaranteed to work x41 Lenovos were selling for $0.99 on
>> ebay)  hooked upto the BigScreen via HDMI or DisplayPort would be
>> needed.
>> http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun_t1_atsc
>>
>> There are other solutions to this that escape me at the moment, but
>> keep us posted as i have a similar project.  Would like a small
>> wireless keyboard with a trackball.  And a gyration mouse.
>>

> You want fanless, so i suppose seconding the ATOM with dedicated
> graphics.  The following has all kinds of video output and may work if
> you it can be underclocked enough for fanless.
> Re: [olug] dual head vid cards
> http://lists.olug.org/pipermail/olug/2010-January/027747.html
>
> $105 HDMI DisplayPort  GIGABYTE GA-H55M-UD2H LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI
> Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128421

Miro is a crossplatform LinMacWin video and audio feedreader.
yum install Miro  (that is with a capital M, not lowercase)

FireFogg.org is a firefox extension that can be used to convert from
one video format to another.  However, like all the apps i have tried,
it converted the audio but not the video.

BestBuy has the netgear Linux based fanless tv adapter for $89.00.