[olug] Proxy server hardware requirements

Jason Zeisler superztnt at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 20:54:59 UTC 2010

I want to set up a proxy server in my house to run DansGuardian. I have a
couple of old systems in my house that are just sitting on the shelf and I
want to put them to good use. My concern is that if I use a system that is
too slow or doesn't have enough get up and go to be used as a proxy server
that I may slow things down too much. One is pretty old. AMD-K2 500Mhz,
256MB Ram, 40GB hard drive. Another thing that I was thinking about trying
was to used this as a firewall and anti-virus too. I saw an article on the
net about that and wanted to give it a try. Also any recommendations for the
best flavor of Linux to use for this.

Thanks,
Jason Z.