[olug] *sigh* Need a Linux / ext3 unerase tool...

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Fri Apr 2 19:43:06 UTC 2010

On Friday 02 April 2010 01:28:04 pm Cooper Vertz wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Dan Linder <dan at linder.org> wrote:
> > Maybe I'll use "dd if=/dev/sda6 | strings | less" and search for some key
> > comments in the code that I do remember... :-/
>
> I have had good luck with that, recovering a complex synergy config file.

Once upon a time, I had an 8 disk hardware RAID that needed to be ordered just
right. When I moved to Nebraska, I took them all out to dust them... and
totally lost the order. This left about 40,000 possible combinations. Thanks
to a LiveCD and hexdump/less, I managed to reorder them just right in about 24
hours.