[olug] *sigh* Need a Linux / ext3 unerase tool...

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Fri Apr 2 19:41:20 UTC 2010

On Friday 02 April 2010 12:53:19 pm Obi-Wan wrote:
> > Didn't notice it until rsync had finished and _both_copies were now gone.
> > :-( Live and learn I guess. :-)
>
> I had a close call like this once.  I now keep copies of everything on
> four distinct spindles at two locations across town from each other.

I scripted git up to store my email history and push it to a remote site (in
this case, my desktop PC) regularly (usually within 5 minutes of any change).
No reason it shouldn't work for most other important data, though I tend to
stick with an add-only rsync for photos for now.

Also, there IS definitely some overhead of using git for this, but since Git
DOES compress, it's only about 150% to 175% the actual data size (probably
even a better ratio when you figure in block usage).

http://gitorious.org/gitbackup