[olug] *sigh* Need a Linux / ext3 unerase tool...

Jordan Fox vmifox at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 17:44:12 UTC 2010

I don't have time to look for the programs now, but I know that
programs exist to actually "look" at the hard drive or an image
(probably the better option, if you have enough space on another
drive) using a hex editor...  this would allow you to manually (well,
you could search for keywords to speed things up) scan through the
drive to find the scripts.  Since they're all text files, this should
work.

I don't know if your dd command above would work or not (my off the
top of the head scripting abilities aren't that great), but it looks
like it should... sounds like you know more about that part than me.
I would certainly be interested in hearing if piping the output of dd
works to scan a drive for text.

Jordan